Friday 9 August 2013

Round Three of the Challenges

For this week's challenge we have to design a internal surface and an external surface. The internal surface focuses on the haptic and tactile quality of surface, while the external surface is to focus on the manipulation of water.

The parameters were determined from a game of "Jankenpon" which was Rock-Paper-Scissors in Japanese. I managed to win the challenge and I chose horizontal/oblique as the internal and vertical/oblique as external. Horizontal oblique meaning not completely horizontal but had to be at an angle no more than 45 degrees and vertical oblique meaning not completely vertical but had to be at an angle of no less than 45. We had a choice of what to make the textures from, but we were given a list as examples: Timber, plaster cast, vacuum former, jelly, plasticine.

I first started off by gathering a numerous amount of random textures which would be the mold for the plaster cast. I casted fabric, patterns made by plastercine as well as patterns made from wood. From the readings I had extracted from it "terrains, structured for conducting body-wide conversations with whoever moves...", interpreting that I tried to think about the hierarchy of people where the higher in the family tree line the higher you would stand to speak. It didn't really turn out well and so I just went on with what I had made combining multiple surfaces together.





No comments:

Post a Comment